We are constantly sourcing exciting and interesting new stock for clients and for our collection available at our Sandton store until March, where after we will only be available at the fairs and markets listed below or by appointment.
We continue to maintain our standard stock range, but are now complimenting this with an increasingly unusual and rare range of items, and of a higher quality, ensuring that Bancroft is a premier vintage collection like none other.
Paul is a member of the South African Antique, Art & Design Association (SAADA) and is its current CEO and sits on the association’s committee. Bancroft was one of the exhibitors at the association’s recent prestigious fully-vetted Johannesburg fair, held annually in October at the Wanderers Club House in Illovo.
Many visitors remark that this fair is without doubt the best of its kind in South Africa. The opening evening on the Thursday is always a “who’s-who” social delight, and gives serious investors the first chance to view and purchase items of top international standard, which are then on view for the following three days.
Also evident at this premier fair is the greater inclusion of vintage items that have a more contemporary appeal – early Modernist items, pieces from other 20th Century periods such as Art Deco, later 20th Century vintage “Designer” pieces, and other antique items that are quirky, and thus fit well in contemporary interiors – giving the world of antiques a more current feel.
What is clear is how extremely rare these “modern” antiques of high quality and in good condition are. This ensures that, while pleasing to look at and use, they will also be important investments with a good return in the future.
But also noticeable at this and other fairs – and at the modern home-stores and interior shops – is the increasing “reinventing” of traditional antiques (think Victorian chest of drawers and ornate silver-plated candlesticks), highlighting the fact that while trends and fashions may change, antiques very much remain relevant in contemporary interiors!
As mentioned, we will also be exhibiting at a variety of fairs and markets in the year ahead.
We will also be exhibiting at the normal list of antiques fairs and markets in the year ahead. Dates to diarise are the following:
Annual Fairs and Expos:
• February: SAADA Expo Cape Town, The Lookout V&A Waterfront (see saada.co.za for details).
• July: NAADA Fair, Sandton Convention Centre (see naada.co.za for details).
• October: SAADA Johannesburg fair, The Wanderers, Illovo (see saada.co.za for details).
• First Saturday of every month (excluding January): Brooklyn Square Antiques Fair, Brooklyn Square Shopping Mall, Pretoria (see ssaf.co.za for details).
• First Sunday of every month (excluding January): Nelson Mandela Square Antiques Fair, Nelson Mandela Square Shopping Mall, Sandton (see ssaf.co.za for details).
• Last Sunday of every month (excluding January): Hyde Park Antiques Fair, Hyde Park Shopping Mall, Hyde Park, Johannesburg (see ssaf.co.za for details).
We look forward to seeing you soon!